Pages

7.18.2013

6 Shades of Summer: Lips Edition

Summer to me is all about lightening up our beauty arsenals, swapping our heavy duty foundations for something a little bit more skin friendly and lightweight- BB Creams and tinted moisturisers. Allowing our pouts and nails to take the lead by choosing bold and bright shades, to make the sun proud. Let your tips and pout do all the scene stealing and be brave with your beauty bag this season. I already shared my Top 6 Summer Nail polishes here so now it's time to reveal my Top 6 Summer appropriate lip products. And we all know just how much I love talking about lippies right? Get comfortable. It's quite a meaty read. :)


Lipsticks
Swatches left to right: Dating Coral, Flirty Fuchsia, Peace

L'Oreal Rouge Caresse in Dating Coral £7.99/11.99 euro: because let's face it, nothing says summer quite like a coral shade. A beautiful soft pale coral pink (in person, on my lips it leans more towards being a light peachy pink shade). Its sheer, lightweight and moisturising formula means you need to pack on the colour to achieve a medium colour pay off. But if you're looking for a subtle sheer wash of colour that feels moisturising to team up with bronzed cheeks, look no further as it also delivers a luminous shine.

Avon Colordisiac in Flirty Fuchsia (no longer available from Avon but I spotted it on eBay here for £4.50 ) To perk up my complexion with a pop of vibrant colour, I enlist the help of Flirty Fuchsia - a shade I can only describe as upbeat because just like I've said before in my Top 5 Avon lipsticks post , I don't think I'll ever come across another pink lipstick as beautiful as this bright daring blue toned fuchsia pink.  The beautiful shade aside, I'm also loving the formula. Creamy and moisturising. It delivers a moist full colour coverage, that typically lasts for 4 to 5 hours.

Seventeen Mirrorshine in Peace £4.79/6.89 euro: A slick of Peace and you'll be ready for the beach or the pool in no time. It's a vibrant orangey coral inside the tube but translates to a more muted warm coral pink on my lips. Due to its balmy texture, upon application it's a more subtle hue. I've already hailed the Mirrorshines as my favourite drugstore lipstick formula. It glides onto the lips with ease, offers a subtle veil of lightweight colour and it feels really comfortable and moisturising. Not at all sticky.  It brightens my complexion and makes my lips look plumper. I rest my case. It may not be long lasting (lasts for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 mins max) but it's pretty alright. Warning: Because of its soft, balm like texture DO NOT leave it on  hot surfaces, exposed to the sun because it will melt. Been there. Done that. Never again. Silly Billy.

Lip Stains/Lipgloss
Swatches left to right: Sizzle, Lovesick, Stellar


Revlon Colourburst Lipgloss in Sizzle £7.99/11.20 euro To add freshness on my face, a flash of Sizzle on the lips does the trick. A super warm orange-coral inside the tube that gives a semi-opaque coverage on the lips. It applies less vibrant than it does in the actual tube but that said, for a lipgloss, Sizzle is very pigmented. It's a very wearable colour and you can easily mute it down by just layering on a thin coat and pat it on. Non sticky texture. As it is formulated with sweet almond oil and Vitamin E, it feels moisturising. Lasts just under 2 hours. Bottom line: The rich saturated colour pay off, top off with a high shine finish whilst still feeling comfortable and lightweight, makes this a summer must have for me.


Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Lovesick  £7.99 currently £5.99/11.20 euro but currently 8.20 euro With the arrival of the lip crayon phenomenon, rocking a wearable everyday bright lip has never been easier. This chubby lip crayon makes a bold lip a cinch. Simply glide it on and voila. There's even no need for a mirror with this one. Lovesick is my go to colour when I want to create a quick bold statement. It's a dark fuchsia pink whilst inside the packaging but upon application, it's a lighter fuchsia which eventually transforms into a deep reddish pink on my lips. I LOVE this shade as time goes by, when it leaves a beautiful longwearing  stain on my pout. The bright, deep shade of pink it turns to really suits my olive/tan complexion. As a stain, it gets top marks from me. But as a balm- while it initially feels moisturising  upon each application, unfortunately it often feels quite drying when all you have left with is the gorgeous stain. However, a slick of lipbalm on top like EOS will sort it out. :)


Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Stellar £5.99/7.95 euro is my first dabble into the world of liquid lipsticks. Pigmentation of a lipstick but applies like a gloss. This my lady friends is a high maintenance choice in that, you can never apply this without a mirror. The doe foot applicator tends to deposit quite a lot of the product and as it doesn't take much to achieve a full opaque coverage (1 tiny swipe is sufficient), you need to get rid of the excess product by simply wiping the flexible applicator against the tube. Do this and you'll avoid overloading your lips with the product. It feels moisturising and while I can't say it's glossy, I can't say it has a matte finish either. There's definitely a hint of shine within it which you can definitely see above. Overtime, I find that it has the tendency to gather around in the corners of my mouth, not only that but it also  doesn't take much to smear the product all over my face because it just never seems to set on the lips. BUT Stellar is such a gorgeous vivid coral pink -so summery, I can overlook its flaws. It's definitely not for everybody but as long as I keep a mirror nearby, I'll be alright.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous18/7/13

    Wow! I think I'll purchase the Revlon Lovesick for myself! It looks gorgeous :) Thanks for the review.. I'm glad I came across your awesome blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment to receive. Really made me smile so thank you for your kind words. It truly means a lot to me, to have someone like you enjoy my baby- Slave to Vanity. You're more than welome. If ever you end up purchasing it, do let me know. :) xx

      Delete
  2. I have an Apocalips in 'Celestial' which I adore so 'Stellar' is next on my list. I'll be in the UK at the end of the year so I really want to grab one or two of the Mirrorshine lipsticks, I remember they were all the rage a few years ago. We can't get them here in Australia so I look forward to trying them out. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep make sure to pick up Stellar next. I'd imagine it'll look great on you Michelle :) how exciting. Couldn't recommend the Mirrorshines enough. They have new packaging and Seventeen added more shades to the range. No better time to give them a try. But please enure you have Belle in your list. It's my absolute favourite :) hopefully you'll end up loving it as much as me. :) x

      Delete
  3. Woww love this comparisons!! they are so useful!
    Love the l'oreal one, so natural

    http://sweetcherryblogger.blogspot.de/2013/07/ethnic-faces-print.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you have such gorgeous lips for swatches... I love your blog too. I love the look of the Avon lipstick, it's so vivid and pretty xx

    Gemma | ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your lipsticks, great shades! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want them all!

    x

    howloveiy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice shades ...
    i really like this lipstick shades...
    Thanks for sharing please keep sharing more :-)
    EL James

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)