Pages

7.13.2013

6 Shades of Summer: Nails Edition

Normally when  the sun decides to come out and play aka summer has finally descended upon us, most people would reach for  ice creams (tubs and tubs of it), sun blocks for those of us who easily turn 50 shades of red after an exposure to a bit of sunlight/vitamin D and good ol' reliable gladiator sandals or just any pair of pretty sandals for that matter. Adios boots/runners, Hola flip flops. But me? What do I immediately grab a hold of as soon as I see the sun beaming down? Beauty bits that scream summer of course.  :) Shades that go hand in hand with our summer attire. And that's why today I find myself sharing my top 6 nail polishes that epitomise the summer vibe.


Swatches from left to right, starting from the thumb: Mistress, Pistachio Ice Cream, You're A Peach, Raspberry Crush and Viva Pink

Ciate Paint Pot in Mistress £9: is described as a classic pillar box red but I see it more of an orangey based red. It's the polish that narrowly missed out on winning the perfect red polish title, which I wrote about here .Nevertheless, the ease of application (all thanks to the thin, wide brush) and the wonderful formula deserves my praise. It applies smoothly and 2 coats in, you're done. No need for a top coat as it leaves a high shine finish.

MUA Nail Polish in Pistachio Ice Cream £1: Oh hai there Mint Candy Apple. Oh no wait. It's Pistachio Ice Cream but it looks like a pretty good dupe right? I still have to get my hands on a bottle of Mint Candy Apple ( it's 2013 Diane, get a move on and join the Essie lovin' bandwagon) but from the swatches I've seen online, they look pretty identical. It's a lovely fusion of cool toned baby blue and mint green. Combine the two and you'll get this pastel surf green. The streakiness during application doesn't come as a surprise, considering this polish will only set you back a mere £1. Add to that, the fact that it's a pastel shade. However, with patience, a steady hand and 3 perfectly applied coats, you'll achieve the perfect even finish.

Nails Inc in You're A Peach £11: I scream. You scream. We all scream for You're A Peach because this light peach number reminds me of an orange sherbet. And in this summer heat we're currently experiencing in Ireland, I wouldn't mind a countless supply of it to cool me down. But because I have yet to stumble upon an orange sherbet here, I'll settle for the polish. This shade is actually a limited edition. Nails Inc exclusively designed the shade as part of their collaboration with In Style magazine UK. But if this shade tickles your fancy, Wellington Square , another offering from Nails Inc looks like a great alternative. Application wise, it's a bit of an arse. It's not the easiest to apply due to its relatively thick consistency. It applies quite streaky but 3 coats in, the mess is covered.

Models Own Raspberry Crush £5: is a lovely blend of pink and red. This raspberry reddish pink is my polish of choice if I want to play matchy-matchy with my nails and lips. I personally love pairing it with Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Stellar as the shades are pretty similar to each other. Due to the rich formula of Raspberry Crush, it only takes 2 coats ( 2 strokes each) to reach opacity. It dries within minutes and leaves a lovely shine. A fail safe option when you're about to head for the beach and your boyfriend/ husband/ brother *insert any other companion here* is nagging you to hurry up.

Avon Nailwear Pro in Viva Pink £3- £6: You say summer, I say Viva Pink. This beautiful bright pink will always remain one of my all time favourite nail polish all year round but especially  during the summer. I hailed it, the perfect summer nail polish last year but my love is here to stay folks. Why do I love it so much? It's not your average pink. It's slightly lighter than your average fuchsia and it's darker than your sweet bubblegum pink. It's bang in the middle. With the wide brush that spans out  really well to cover the nail, you're done with 2 quick strokes. With 2 layers layered on, it's the perfect shade to team up with a tan. It's a suitable colour for fingers and toes. The excellent fuss free formula + semi glossy finish makes this a no brainer choice.

Nails Inc St James £11 : made a recent appearance on Slave to Vanity here hence why I decided not to include a swatch. A true classic pillar box red, it's not the most exciting choice of nail polish out there but due to its easy 1 coat wonder application and glossy creme finish, it made the cut.


So those are my top 6 summer ready nail polishes. Do any of them tickle your fancy? What's your favourite summer nail polish ?

2 comments:

  1. You're a peach is the prettiest colour! Also loving the MUA shade, for £1 you cannot beat that!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously gorgeous shades! i love the minty one and you can't go wrong for the price! love your blog, following now :)

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // bloglovin

    ps. check out my new giveaway to win a big goodie bag of drugstore favourites! click here.

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)