Pages

7.02.2013

Tribute to Avon: Top 5 products of All Time

 Seeing as Avon decided to say its final farewell read more about it here , I thought a post about my Top 5 favourite products of all time would make the perfect tribute. I've never been good with good byes. As a matter of fact, I'd rather run a marathon even though I can't run for a full 5 minutes without feeling out of breath than say a heartfelt goodbye to someone I love. But while I'm still questioning why must all good things come to an end just like Nelly Furtado (have a listen to her song. I love it) , I've come to accept that there are just some things in life that aren't destined to stay.

When it comes to Avon, you name it I've tried it. From their make-up (mascaras, eye shadows, lip glosses, foundations, bronzer, blushes and my personal favourites: lipsticks -basically the whole shebang) , body care(lotions and body oils) , hair care (shampoo, conditioner and hair masks), their famous Nail Enamels right down to their foot creams. I've given them all a whirl. Whilst some products failed to leave a lasting impression on me, I've managed to unearthed some downright gems of beauty products amidst all the disappointing products. Through a process of trial and error, I discovered several products which if given the chance, I would continue to repurchase for the rest of my life. So enough rambling and allow me to introduce the Top 5 product offerings from Avon. New to Avon and don't know where to start? May I point you towards the direction of these products? Because they simply, for a lack of a better word: ROCK.


*The list is in no particular order because I'd be here all day, deciding who gets the top spot and well ain't nobody got time for that ;) *


Glazewear Silky Shine Lipsticks in Coral Bliss and Peach Silk   full review here The competition in the lipstick department was always going to be tough because I seriously adore Avon lipsticks. For the price you pay, you get some serious bang for your buck in terms of their pigmentation ,wide shade, texture and finish selection. Out of my 15  *gulp* Avon lippies, the Glazewear Silky Shine lipsticks had risen to the top of the league simply because they're beautiful. From their attractive sophisticated why aren't they sold in department stores rose gold packaging, beautiful everyday wearable shades with succulent glossy shine without being OTT to THAT peach fruity scent. Is it any wonder why I can't get enough? Peach Silk will always remain a firm favourite of mine.


Avon True Colour Blush (Russet) full review here is a blush which often gets pushed aside but when I look at it and wear it on the cheeks, it leaves me love struck. Cupid's arrow goes straight through my heart. This stunning tangerine/apricot coral sculpts cheekbones in an instant while also delivering a beautiful flush of colour. Russet and Peach Silk happens to be one of the most prettiest lip/blush combinations I've ever come across. Russet is very pigmented so a little goes a long way. Smooth non chalky texture ...Need I go on?


Long before the eye shadows from the much coveted Urban Decay Naked Palettes have graced my eyelids, the Avon True Colour Eye Shadow Quad in Mocha Latte was a permanent tenant inside my everyday  make-up bag. So much so, I considered asking rent from it. ;) Not a day went by without me layering on a shade or 3 to create the perfect everyday smokey eye.  But then I purchased the Urban Decay Naked 1 and 2 palettes and this took one for the team and nestled back into the make-up drawer, hoping that one day it'll steal the spotlight once more ( a new feature will soon launch on Slave to Vanity and a post dedicated to this beauty is on its way pretty soon. Sooner than you think ;) ) But so far all I can say is this: 4 eyeshadow shades (2 matte, 2 shimmered) with a smooth  texture which applies and blends easily and lasts the entire day with a primer? We're onto a winner alright.


Speaking of eye shadows, the Avon Eyeshadow Primer in Light Beige is a great product for when you want them to go the distance. It's a creamy light peachy beige which applies smoothly, dries and disappear quickly on the lids, mattifying the eyelids in the process to create a flawless base for my eye shadows to adhere to. It does what any other  great eye shadow primer is suppose to do: prevents creasing, makes my eye shadows appear freshly applied for longer and it enhances the pigmentation and intensity of any eye shadows.

 
 When it comes to hair care products, I'm still a novice because up until a few months ago, I had zero interest in grooming and pampering my hair. Good ol' drugstore brand shampoos from the likes of Head&Shoulders, L'Oreal and Pantene were good enough for me and my mane. But then I gave the Advance Techniques Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner   a whirl and 3 months in, I'm still in love. These double-handedly sparked my interest in all things hair. Having never tried that many hair products, I might be easier to please than most but these stuff are AMAZING.
 
One of my biggest concerns when it comes to my hair is the greasy mess it often turns into, the following day after washing it.  Regardless of what shampoo I use, I usually suffer from greasy roots. It was an on going nightmare especially for someone like me ''Ms I hate my hair'' I think it's because most products weigh my hair down. But these duo from Avon are literally heaven sent products. The shampoo forms a really rich, luxurious lather, giving my hair a deep clean. I take my time massaging the conditioner into each hair strand, paying a closer attention to the ends, where I tend to get the most knots. By doing this, I no longer come out of the shower with a head full of knots and tangles. Something I'm very pleased about. When I go on to brush my hair and run through the hair strands with my fingers, I instantly notice how much softer, silkier and more manageable it is. For a girl with thick hair, the weightless movement is a much welcome blessing. On top of that, my hair is grease free the following day and has a subtle shine, making my hair not only feel but look healthier. Because I can now only get these if a) I move to the UK/America where Avon is still selling or b) go online via eBay/amazon (2 not so convenient options), I've been saving these for my weekend pampering routine and rationing every drop of product like a pro. Yes I heart it that much.

 
In the middle of putting this post/tribute together I remembered Avon Nailwear Pro in Viva Pink   full review here one of my firm favourites when it comes to lacquering up for the summer. I added it  as a bonus top product because otherwise, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself, if I didn't give it the tribute it rightfully deserves. A gorgeous bright fuchsia pink. It's the perfect candidate for prettifying your toes to get sandals ready.


Open letter to Avon
 
Dear my beloved Avon,
 
3 months ago you left me without any warnings nor a goodbye. For someone who clearly loves you, it hurt to see you go. Would I have loved it if things went differently for us? Absolutely. The recession  and overall, poor economic climate tore us apart. We never stood a chance against it.
 
Now all I'm left with are the wonderful memories I have of falling in love with your products. Lord knows you weren't perfect. Whilst your colourful and well designed brochures enticed me to have a flick through the pages, the horrible not so accurate swatches of lipsticks/lipglosses and foundations left a lot to be desired. But your 90 day money back guarantee if products ended up being unsuitable, compensates for it. Our relationship was rocky, to say the least. It certainly wasn't smooth sailing by a long shot. With products that failed to hit the standards. But you always found a way back into my heart. Thank you for creating these products. I shall forever treasure them.
 
I've loved the 2 years I spent purchasing, trying and discovering some great products from you. Will I ever feel this strongly about another brand? Only time will tell. But I've got to say, you've set a pretty good standard.
 
Wishing you the best and all my love,
Diane. x
 
Ps I'm so jealous of all the other girls who can still place an order as you're still operating in their country. I can only hope that they'll appreciate your awesomeness as much as I have.

6 comments:

  1. I used to love Avon too, but after the way they just left and didn't even tell the reps they were leaving I'm still annoyed at them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get where you're coming from Laura. As a loyal and long term customer, I hated how they just packed up and went without any warning at all. Can't even imagine how it must have been for the hard working reps. :(

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that Avon is leaving. Definitely makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avon is only withdrawing from certain countries. I think the US is safe though. :)

      Delete
  3. That's sad news it's withdrawing in your country! I haven't tried any Avon products but the Pixiwoo sisters do showcase some of them regularly which has piqued my interest. The Mocha Latte quad looks absolutely gorgeous - the colours are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous28/11/13

    Hi, I'm very late to the game on this post of yours (and I don't see many recent ones, have you gone the way of Avon??!!) but just wanted to let you know that you might want to try an online site like hopshopgo that lets you order products from American companies that don't ship internationally. I'm from Canada and just used it to order some products from Somme Institute. The site sets you up with an American address that you ship to and then they forward your purchase from their warehouse. It's pretty easy and you can use it for any american site!! Anyway, loving your blog, hope you come back.
    Kari in Canada

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)