12.27.2013

The Broken Lipstick Vow

Can someone please bring me to the nearest hospital pronto? Because I think I'm suffering from amnesia. No I didn't accidentally hit my head on a hard surface and I certainly didn't sustain head injuries from a severe brain trauma. In unfortunate and tragic circumstances like these, they will certainly offer explanations for my lack of self control. But as I've been very fortunate enough to keep out of harm's way, what's my excuse?

What exactly am I going on about? See last year, I gave myself a challenge, the ever so catchy The No More Lipstick Challenge link . Fed up of accumulating so much lipsticks than I knew what to do with, I came up with the clever solution. What was the deal? I simply couldn't purchase another lipstick bullet until I've finished the 4 beautiful but easily forgettable lipsticks that were featured. 4 lipsticks? No problem. Well.... it seemed like a clever idea at the time. In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have given myself such an unattainable challenge. Because as a 100% proud lipstick addict, I was destined to fail from the get go. If Superman has his kryptonite, lipsticks are mine. Trying to resist the urge and temptation to buy a new shade is futile. I'll never be able to turn down a lipstick, especially when it's whispering my name so lovingly. It would be like ignoring a crying baby. How mean is that?
Swatches left to right: Evasion, Sunset, Dating Coral

So how long did I last before I accepted my inevitable defeat and said my adios to the challenge? A MONTH. *gulp* It wasn't bad right? I mean it could have been a lot  worse...say a day or week. Okay.Okay I'll be the first one to admit it, as far as attempt goes, it was pathetic. It all started with L'Oreal Rouge Caresse Lipstick in 301 Dating Coral then I asked my brother for the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine 48 Evasion for my birthday last year and then I decided to buy Avon Extra Lasting Lipstick in Sunset. (just because I felt like it) So much for trying to control myself eh? ;) Told you I need to see a doctor soon, preferably McDreamy a.k.a Dr Shepherd at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital (well he's a neurosurgeon after all ;) - maybe he'll know the exact reason why my brain is incapable of saying no to more lipstick purchases. 


L'Oreal Rouge Caresse in 301 Dating Coral  is not a stranger here on Slave to Vanity. It made its first appearance as part of my 6 Shades of Summer: Lip Edition post but in a nutshell, it's a gorgeous soft pale muted coral pink with some peachiness thrown in . Lightweight and moisturizing formula, top off with a pretty sheen that makes my lips look slightly more fuller than usual? No regrets with this one. A year has passed since I purchased this and it has remained one of my favourites. Sure it doesn't last long but when it's a beautiful shade like this one, I can easily forgive.


Avon Extra Lasting Lipstick in Sunset a vibrant orangey red with dark coral written all over it, say hello to my Christmas lipstick of choice. It's a unique shade in my collection because it pulls slightly more orange under some lighting and then there are times it leans more towards a dark pinky red. My love for this shade is real. The creamy formula glides on easily and leaves a super opaque coverage with just several swipes. It has a creme, silky satin finish. The formula imparts the loveliest sheen on my lips and that, along with the vibrancy of the shade, brightens my complexion so beautifully. This is my go to lipstick for days when I'm faced with the dilemma of having lacklustre skin. However, Sunset has two noticeable flaws: 
1) It doesn't live up to its name and its claim- Extra Lasting? 8 hour wear without fading?  I don't think so, considering it transfers every time I eat/drink. If I refrain from eating or drinking, it lasts a good 4 to 5 hours before it starts to fade away. It leaves a beautiful soft subtle stain behind.
 2) It clings to and accentuates dry patches and overtime, it can start to feel slightly drying so preparing the lips with a lipbalm beforehand, wouldn't go amiss.


Last but certainly not least we have Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in 48 Evasion. My first ever taste of high end lipstick and what a taste it was. For a fail safe lipstick that perfectly matches and pairs beautifully with my daily uniform of a brown smokey eye, Evasion is my first port of call. A beautiful shade that can only be described as a peachy pink nude, it's definitely more pink than peach on my lips but it has enough peach undertones and a hint of coral warmth to prevent it from washing out my complexion. I tend to shy away from cool toned light pink shades but fortunately, I find Evasion to be a flattering shade against my complexion. As for its formula, it's moisturizing and feels very lightweight with a buttery soft, balm- like texture. Due to the sheer nature of the formula, I have to layer it on to build up the pigmentation (you won't get full coverage with this one though - think of it as a very fancy tinted lip balm with a slight slippery texture ) The Rouge Coco Shine range will never win an award  for being the best and most pigmented lipsticks around nor will it walk away with the award for the most long wearing lipsticks (Evasion lasts less than an hour on my lips) but the lovely, delicate pinch of colour that it offers and its glossy finish are its main selling points. It has the tendency to sink into lip lines, the more I pile on the layers for added pigmentation but a quick dab with my finger fixes this minor flaw. A Rouge Coco Shine is a luxury purchase for sure, setting you back 28 euro but the exquisite iconic Chanel packaging with those two interlocked, opposed letters-C is enough to sway me to pick up another shade. Next on my Chanel buying hit list? Rouge Coco Shine in Flirt, come to momma.


From writing this post, I've concluded that I have a penchant for collecting peachy pink and coral lipsticks and that my desire to assemble a lipstick army is a lot stronger than my willpower. So what does this say about me? I can never stick to my word...well when it comes to beauty that is. In other areas of my life, I pride myself in my ability to keep my promises. I'm a Scorpio, once we set our eyes on achieving something, we normally do. But when it comes to turning down a lipstick? I just don't have the heart. Hmm. Who wants to join the lipstick anonymous with me? ;)

*I've added five more lipsticks to my collection since I came up with this post which includes the Maybelline Colour Whisper Lipsticks. I didn't include them here because I'm going to write a full review with swatches.*

7 comments:

  1. Dating Coral and Sunset are soooo beautiful <3
    So lucky you are blessed with very full lips and all lipsticks look good on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all so pretty! I especially love the Chanel one, so wearable and lovely <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chanel one is soooooo gorggg
    E | Beauty/Skincare | Cocoamourr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks :) pretty much all shades I would have chosen too
    Bea x
    www.beasbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Chanel lipstick is so pretty - I love it :) You sound like me.... I have such a HUGE lipstick collection, and 97% are peach or pink! They're just so easy to wear, and gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chanel is my favorite :)

    Anais from:
    http://byanais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh all 3 look so beautiful :) I never tried any Avon lipstick before!

    Ila x
    http://cleanserblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)