Pages

6.08.2014

Meeting Mr Barry M: Spring 2014 Gelly Hi-Shine polishes


Barry M nail polish offerings have always caught my eye. Thanks to all the UK beauty blogs I read on a regular basis, the brand has always been on my radar. Known for producing nail polishes in all the colours of the rainbow and then some, with a wide variety of finishes and textures to satisfy one's nail polish addiction, it doesn't come much as a surprise that it's well loved by many. Beautiful shades aside, the price tag of £2.99-£3.99 per polish certainly makes it easy to build a Barry M collection in no time. As for me?  While I've uttered my 'umms' and 'ahhs' over certain shades, I never had the urge to hop it down to my local Boots and pick up a bottle. That's until I saw the Spring 2014 Gelly Hi-Shine collection. With 3 beautiful pastel shades to choose from, Barry M had my full attention. Those folks at Barry M definitely know how to pick up girls, eh? ;)

Now the shades aren't exactly unique. We've all seen them before but something about them just intrigued me. Huckleberry instantly captured my heart because it's such a pretty, light baby blue. I've been looking for a pastel blue, for the longest time as I had yet to venture into the world of blue polishes. As for Rosehip? While I already have quite a few pastel pinks lying around the place, I couldn't say no to such a delicate milky pink. Having been compared to Essie Fiji by a handful of bloggers, I needed it since despite the fact that I've lusted and continue to lust over Fiji for the last 2 years, I still can't stomach the thought of spending 12.99 euro for it. Rosehip deserves a spot in my collection because while it's nothing new, I'm digging its white undertone.

As with most pastel shades, there's a tendency to run into trouble when it comes to application. Pastels don't exactly have the best reputation for ease of application, now do they? From my experience with these 2 polishes, these aren't your I can paint my nails in less than 5 mins type of lacquers, more girl, you need to sit your ass down and prepare to work type of lacquers. Due to the relatively thick formula and the tendency of the brush to deposit too much polish, it's easy to overload the nail bed with polish if you're not careful. I found layering 3 thin coats to be the best solution for correcting such flaw. It's worth noting that since they've a thick consistency, they do reach opacity with 2 coats but I prefer layering another coat for even application and to ensure my manicure looks neat and smooth.

While the formula requires a bit of an effort to apply, it's not all doom and gloom because the gorgeous high shine finish at the end, more than compensates for it. These polishes leave such a glossy finish on the nails, hence why you could ditch the topcoat all together. So while they require extra time to get the application right, the resulting glossy finish means you could skip the last step of your manicure. #winning But wait. If I skip the top coat, surely my manicure won't last that long? I hear you ask. Don't fret because the formula of these polishes is surprisingly quite long wearing. I can easily wear these for 3-4 days sans top coat before I see minor chips at the tips of my nails. #definitelywinning

What else is there left for me to say? Barry M, it's lovely to finally get to know you. I can now see what all the other girls see in you. One date in and you've already captured my heart. I'm now set for our second date. In fact, the beauty blogger favourite Gelly Hi Shine polish in Lychee already caught my eye. As far as first dates go, this wasn't disappointing. Don't you just love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)