Pages

12.24.2014

Popping the MAC cherry (aka the haul made over a year ago)


Turning 21 has always been a milestone for a lot of people and I'm no exception. However, while others think of special and extravagant ways to mark the occasion, I only thought of one thing: it was time. Time for what? To pop my Mac cherry because despite being a beauty addict, I had yet to succumb to the lures of MAC. So way back in November of last year, I found myself taking the first step towards building my MAC collection.

Having never set foot in a Mac store before, how's a girl supposed to choose? Determined to not look like a lost puppy or a deer caught in the headlights, when faced with the extensive selection, I did my research. I wanted to purchase products that work double time, the ones that I know I'll have no regrets purchasing because they're so well -loved by fellow beauty bloggers, gaining a cult following among beauty addicts. Because nothing spells amazing product quite like a solid group of fangirling ladies, ready to sing high praises at every opportunity. MAC ain't cheap so this girl had to ensure the products purchased were going to perform without fail. After much debate, I settled on 4 products. Enough babbling, say hi to these beauties.


Mac Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle was an extravagant purchase, in every sense of the word. Coming in at 29.50 euro, the purchase of this famous, highly coveted highlighter was a risky move. Why? A) I had no prior experience with highlighters before B) I didn't have a clue how to apply it. But, I went ahead and bought it anyway. Why not start with a bang? Lol.

Soft and Gentle  is a warm-toned, peach bronze highlighter. I can't say that it leaves the most natural looking glow on the skin because it has a frost metallic finish. However, that said, provided that I apply it carefully ( At the moment, I'm using my Real Techniques Contour Brush) with a swirl over the top of my cheekbones, I'm left with a beautiful glow. It's the sort of product you reach for when you start to resemble a zombie, running on zero hours of sleep. It perks up the skin and just makes you look healthier, as if you had the recommended 8 glasses of water a day (okay..not quite, but you get the idea). It has a lovely soft powder texture and despite the thousands of rose-gold shimmers that runs through it, I don't find it gritty in the slightest.


Mac Peaches Sheertone Blush was the blush that's been on my beauty wishlist for far too long before I finally decided to quit the waiting game and finally give in to my heart's desire. After all, the heart wants, what the heart wants, right? (Selena Gomez says so, okay?)  You know it's time to tick a product off the list when you've wanted it for 2 long years. And what can I say? It's so worth the wait. Why I waited this long is beyond me. 

Peaches is a classic light peach with a matte finish. Being a Sheertone blush, one might assume that it'll require some layering to achieve decent pigmentation, but one couldn't be more wrong. Two quick layers usually suffice, leaving me with a nice pop of peach on the cheeks to brighten up my complexion. It's a matte finish without feeling heavy or powdery and it blends easily into the cheeks, thanks to its silky smooth texture.


To complete my little MAC haul, I opted for two lipsticks. Because, let's be honest here: It's not a complete MAC haul until you purchase a vanilla scented lipstick. Am I right or am I right? ;) For building my MAC lipstick wardrobe, I wanted to begin by layering down a basic foundation with shades I know I can use on a daily basis, with just about any make-up look. I'm a devotee of bright bold lip shades, and while I always deemed light nude shades to be scary options due to my unfamiliarity with them, I chose Shy Girl and Patisserie. Shy Girl because I've long been under its spell and Patisserie because it reminded me of my beloved lipstick fave Seventeen Mirrorshine in Belle and because my favourite bloggers Anna and Emma have it too. #copycatalert 

Shy Girl. Ah Shy Girl. How I love and hate you in equal measure. This light nude peachy goodness with a subtle dash of pink shade pairs beautifully with just about any smokey eye look I create, hence why it's worthy of my love and adoration. But the formula majorly lets it down. Despite being a Cremesheen with a supposedly creamy texture that is easy to apply, I find it unforgiving and drying on my lips. It accentuates lip lines like there is no tomorrow, hence why Shy Girl only comes out to play when I have the time required to extensively prep my lips beforehand with a generous layer of lip balm underneath. While I'm not exactly a fan of the formula, the shade won me over.

In contrast, Patisserie is as good as its name. It's the definition of perfection. From the shade that's a perfect blend of peach/brown/salmon pink, right down to its Lustre formula that applies sheerly but buildable owing to its soft texture. It glides easily on the lips. So perfect, I think an appropriate alternative name for Patisserie is FAULTLESS (hmmm. This is why I don't work for Mac. It doesn't have quite the ring to it, but let's just roll with it.) A great everyday lip choice. A+ all around.

Swatches (left to right): Soft&Gentle, Peaches, Shy Girl and Patisserie

This mini haul was made over a year ago, but because I've been super busy the past year, I can only share it now. I simply have to celebrate this milestone and mark the occasion by documenting my first venture into the dangerous, dangerous world of MAC. While all my choices were predictable and not that exciting, I personally believe MAC and I are off to a good start. A start of a beautiful, long-lasting relationship? Steady on, girlfriend ;) 

As of writing, I already added to my collection. Apparently this girl doesn't mess about when it comes to new relationships. As per usual, when I fall in love, I fall hard. Damn my foolish heart. (More on this later)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)