Pages

1.02.2016

2015: The year of awesomeness

Dear 2015,

As I say goodbye to you, I can't help but feel just a tiny bit apprehensive about starting anew and welcoming 2016 with open arms. In my 23 years of existence, I've had my fair share of memorable moments, but I think you'll always be remembered as being one of the best year ever.  When I cast my mind back to last year, I recall feeling anxious. I was scared about my incoming internship, of failing and disappointing my parents. All throughout my four years of training to be a nurse, I always doubted my ability to succeed. I never believed in myself and in what I can do. No amount of academic achievements could untie me from the tight grip of self-doubt. For a really long time, I truly  believed that I would never be good enough. Then I found out I was graduating not only with a Bachelor of Science in General Nursing, but the final GPA  I'd earned entitled me to be awarded with First Class Honours degree. I never imagined that I would walk away with a 1:1, but little old me did the impossible. I went for my first job interview and voila. I bagged a staff nurse position in a nursing speciality I really wanted: Anaesthetics& Recovery. Starting my career as a nurse so soon after qualifying just showed me how blessed I am. Forgive me, 2015 for ever thinking you were going to be a disappointment. You were nothing but awesome. Because you've been so amazing, it's only right that I share the highlights which made you a stellar year of finding success, forming stronger friendships, great beginnings, travel and partying like it was going out of fashion.

Graduation

Four years went by so quickly, but there were days when it seemed like graduation was out of my reach. Nursing school is not for the faint-hearted. It will have you question your sanity a billion times and then some, leave you wanting to bash your head against the wall as you stay up, doing an all nighter writing a care plan. Coffee will become your new best friend, so much so you'll wish that it can be introduce as an intravenous fluid.You'll meet patients who will forever stay in your heart. You'll comfort the dying and their family, you'll hold a hand of an anxious patient awaiting surgery or their diagnosis. You'll try your best not to get too emotional involved, but ultimately, you end up doing so. For every moment that I shed a tear of frustration and sadness (with some of joy too), I thank God for allowing me to do what I do. For teaching me the importance of patience, persevering, caring and advocating for those who can't do that for themselves. I decided to spend the rest of my life healing the sick, because I know that not all superheroes wear capes. Some of them happen to wear scrubs. :D I feel so proud to call myself a NURSE.  To my alma mater, UCD, thank you for the two scholarships.

Graduation Ball

What's graduation without a ball? We ditched our uniforms and glammed up for the night. It was held in The Gibson Hotel. It was nice seeing people dress to the nines to celebrate such a milestone in our lives. A night of great food, fab company, dancing and a photo booth that everyone took advantage of. Because there is always a time for countless selfies. Awards were given out on the night for the craic, like 'Most likely to marry a doctor'. Sadly, I didn't win the 'Best 6am make-up and hair' but I didn't lose sleep over it because when you have to wake up at 6 am to attend clinicals, I will always pick the snooze button over my concealer. Lol. Major thumbs up for the free-flowing mulled wine available at reception that night which made it that extra special.

Last Day in UCD

September 15 2015, I remember you so well. It was the day we submitted our DOCATs for the last time which meant that we passed our internship and we were set to graduate. Getting through the last four years had it's tough moments, but without my gal pals, I wouldn't have made it. So of course, when you get through something as major as a nursing degree, in one piece, you take photos. Plenty of them so that in case you get amnesia, you'll always remember it. :)



Palma, Majorca

With the end of my student life, there was only one way to celebrate and finally let loose. The girls and I headed to the beautiful sunny island, that is Majorca for 4 nights. It was incredible.  I didn't meet my Pedro or my Juan, but I did take away with me some lovely memories to look back on. We did the traditional sight seeing. We visited the breathtaking Palma Cathedral, Cuevas del Drach and Castell de Bellver.  Nearly drowning in Western Water Park, Magaluf was no fun, but man was it a blast. I was brave and went on the Multipistas. TWICE. Oh my heart. Google it and see for yourself. The girls and I even went on the Mega Slide. We were nearly tossed out in the air. Scary, but so exhilarating. The ultimate highlight of Majorca though? Going to sleep at 11 pm, only to wake up one hour later to party it up in Magaluf. Come home at 5 am and wake up at 7 am to go sight-seeing. The only way I know how. Lol. If you haven't been to BCM, Planet Dance, do yourself a favour and go. one word: AMAZING!!!!!!




Girls' Night Outs & Being Silly

I do love a night out or two. Painting the town red is one of my favorite ways to unwind after a stressful week at work. I consider dancing like a possessed woman on the dance floor at 2-3 am a real skill, especially when you have to dodge the drinks being spilled all around you. If you ever see me out on the dance floor, don't hesitate to come over. I'll teach you the ways of Zumba. Diane style.  Favourite night out last year? My b-day. What a fun night. (2nd collage)

So that's a wrap, 2015. You've been incredible. Thank you for the memories. I'll miss you, but I know that 2016 will be as kind to me. Here's hoping I find my Pedro/Juan. Adios, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions relating to a product please don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to answer them. I'd always try to reply as promptly as I can. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate and read every single one of them. Have a beautiful day ahead of you, beautiful :)